RekindleIT Gets an Update! « The-Singleton – Dropping Technology Like it's Hot.

RekindleIT Gets an Update!

I've very happy to announce today that RekindleIT is getting some much needed love.

Since it's launch more than a year ago, RekindleIT has steadily grown into being one of the most popular Kindle document solutions on the web. We've been written up just about everywhere and lots of you have written to me to tell me how much RekindleIT means to you.

And I thank you. You are all so totally awesome.

That said, things haven't always been running smoothly. As you might be aware, I work full time as an Engineer and Interaction Designer so finding time to update RekindleIT is tough. After logging into my Analytics account to see how RekindleIT was doing, one thing was clear -- even in spite of problems of undelivered documents, outages, and so on, RekindleIT continues to grow.

So something had to be done.

The areas that needed the most love as I saw it were in two areas:

  • Reliability of document delivery
  • Formatting goodness

For the first problem, I've gone in and basically totally refactored the way RekindleIT operates. It should be much more fault tolerant, and documents will always eventually get delivered (unless there is something wrong with the page). The actual sever process uses far less resources and is more tolerant to problems when it encounters them. If you guys are interesting in hearing the gory details, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to bludgeon you with more info.

As for formatting, you may notice the lack of "reformat for kindle" option. Well, I've gone ahead and completely refactored the document conversion pipeline and run tests against more that 10,000 documents -- actual documents you guys convert. I think the results are great. I hope you do too.

In the coming weeks I'm going to be making some updates to the actual RekindleIT website too -- at peek times it gets a little overwhelmed, so I'm going to be upgrading the hardware. Stay tuned and again, from the bottom of my heart, thanks for using RekindleIT!

Comments