Updating Your BlackBerry Apps: Why It Mattersby Authors, blogs.blackberry.com
When you blog about BlackBerry devices, your family and friends automatically assume you’re a “tech guru” and know everything about every BlackBerry device ever created — not to mention how to program your grandparents’ VCR. You’re the person in the group who knows just a little more than everyone else, and now by default, you are the expert. That said, I do know a little something about BlackBerry apps.
A friend recently asked a question that prompted this post. He asked, “When should I update my apps, and when should I just ignore the “spark” () prompting me to update?” I answered, “As soon as possible!” Here’s why:
- Updates may improve app and device stability. If your app is experiencing periodic “crashes” or issues with a feature, the developer may be aware of it and may have fixed it in an updated release. Staying current may just solve the issue you’re having.
- Updates may improve app and device security. Keeping their apps secure is one of the most important things to a developer since their reputation may depend on it. By making sure your app is up to date, any new security issues may be identified and patched.
- Updates may add exciting new features. App updates aren’t always “all work and no play“– updates may also contain new features you’ll find useful or even crucial to your usage.
- Updates may improve app and device speed. There may be times where an app update simply increases the efficiency of an app or service, making the app run faster. Who wouldn’t benefit from some additional speed?
- Updated apps may be the first step of a support call. In the event you have to connect with our support team, many times the first thing they ask you to do is to update the app or your BlackBerry smartphone OS; you might as well save the step before you call.
One last thing before you go running for your BlackBerry device to start downloading updates: Perform software updates over Wi-Fi whenever possible. Downloads will typically happen faster, and if you have a limit on your monthly data plan, you may save some room later in the month to download kitten pictures.
Do you update your apps when you see the spark? Share your reasons why or why not in the comments below.
Original Page: http://pocket.co/sG3uN
Shared from Pocket