Fairy Tale Forgotten: Congressional Hearings and my lack of envy... By @TwinsMa

Congressional Hearings and my lack of envy...

by Forgotte, fairytaleforgotten.blogspot.com
November 30th 2012

No, that wasn't a typo. I didn't mean empathy. I meant envy.

I don't envy the representatives that made themselves look like prehistoric fools on camera.

I don't envy the people who sat behind two very wonderful autistic speakers and rolled their eyes and sighed because the people in those seats made themselves look like fools as well.

I don't envy the few who made wonderful points but were drowned out in a slew of unproven, outdated, and completely anecdotal "evidence" that was put on display for all the world to see, process, and turn into more "proof" that we're "damaged" and we need to be "fixed" or "cured".

I don't envy the people who's testimonies were truly valid but they were dismissed as bunk.

I don't envy the audience who was left with more questions than answers. The audience who was left with little to no hope of ever seeing programs during their lifetimes that will help autistic individuals in a meaningful or timely manner.

I am disgusted with several of the representatives who mentioned having family members with Autism, who in turn painted a picture of individuals who are in "an awful state". I am disgusted that you apparently haven't taken the time to get to know your autistic relative or to relate to the beauty that is inherent in every person, autistic or not.

I am fearful for our future. What will happen to my children when I am gone and they are left in the hands of society to manage on their own? What will happen because right now it doesn't look promising?

Why is everyone so determined to keep looking to the future when our autistic members of society need help now? Where are our programs that get us gainfully employed? Housed? Clothed? Fed? Accommodated in public and at home? Programs that look after our mental health after we grow up with the words damaged, flawed, wrong, diseased, poisoned, no, no, NO! pounded into our heads every day by a society that isn't ready for us?

Where do we go from here?

Well, when you're basically at rock bottom, you climb.

You step into the light and you demand attention and you ask for the things you need to survive comfortably. You educate others; speak your mind, heart, and soul to anyone who will listen. You assist others in your position in any way that you can manage.

You put a face to the millions of others out there like you and you don't stop fighting for your basic human rights and dignities until you take your last breath.

Here's to the good fight because I've already started mine. Have you?

I don't envy anyone who tries to stop me either.

Original Page: http://pocket.co/sh_EJ

Shared from Pocket

MiniPad

Comments