You’re overqualified for the position, but do you care? : The Work Buzz

RSS Feed for This Post

Current Article

You’re overqualified for the position, but do you care?

By anthony balderrama on Mar 30, 2010 in Featured, Job Search, Jobs, Mature Workers, Work

Of the many things the recession messed up — and I think we can all agree it really ruined a lot — plans were the biggest victim. Once the economy went kaput, your future suddenly became a little less certain. Could you afford to maintain your lifestyle? Was it the best time to switch jobs? Could you save enough for your upcoming wedding after pay cuts? The ramifications were endless.

In Sunday’s New York Times, writer Michael Luo touched on a phenomenon that is occurring throughout the country: overqualified workers who are satisfied just being employed. As Luo points out, many job postings give the basic requirements for candidates, but many applicants have experience and education that theoretically qualifies them for much higher positions. When these job seekers find themselves in these positions, they experience some insecurity but have some satisfaction that at least they’re working.

Academic research on the subject confirms that workers who perceive themselves as overqualified do, in fact, report lower job satisfaction and higher rates of turnover. But the studies also indicate that those workers tend to perform better. Moreover, there is evidence that many of the negatives that come with overqualified hires can be mitigated if they are given autonomy and made to feel valued and respected.

The new variable in all of this is the continuing grim economic climate. Many workers’ ambitions have evolved, after all, from climbing the ladder to simply holding on to a job, any job. Turnover would also seem to be less of a concern amid predictions that it could be years before unemployment returns to pre-recession levels.

As a result, Luo points out, many overqualified workers are struggling to accept their current situation without letting insecurity appear.

For his part, Mr. Carroll admitted that he had caught himself often trying to drop his credentials into conversations at his new workplace.

“Obviously that stems from maybe some embarrassment at the level that I’m at,” he said. “I do want people to know that, to some extent, this isn’t who I am.”

Have you found yourself in this situation in the last couple of years? How have you dealt with being overqualified? Some job seekers have said that “overqualified” is a useless term because all that matters is whether or not a person wants the job and is qualified for it. Do you agree? Let us know your thoughts.

ShareThis

Trackback URL

Related Posts

RSS Feed for This Post

105 Comment(s)

  1. Stephanie | Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

    I am overqualified for my current job. After being out of work for over a year I took the first offer I had. I am struggling financially and this job is not challenging enough.

  2. Chad | Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

    I’ve been unemployed for 18 months and no more unemployment benefits for the past 4 months. I have been searching for a job all this time, consistently “dummying-down” my resume because the very few actual responses to my applications have all told me I’m over-qualified, even with a resume showing far less experience than I really have. I just want a job!!

    I have a degree in Film/TV production but haven’t worked in that field for almost 10 years. When I moved back out to LA, I was told time and time again “You’re Over-Qualified”. When I finally ot to frustrated to take it anymore, I actually confronted one of my interviewers about what this meant. They told me they were simply afraid I would keep applying for better jobs if they hired me and then walk out one day to accept one of these “better jobs”. They figured I would be too much work to have to keep hiring someone to fill that position of Production Assistant if I were to leave. I tried to convince them that, yes, I had experience in a post-prod house and used to be an assistant editor, but hadn’t touched the equipment in a decade…nothing I used to work with even existed anymore! I needed a low level job just to remember what the industry was like.

    Still unemployed!

  3. Rebecca | Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

    I agree!
    I am happy to have a job, albeit it is not in the field in which I’ve had training. I recently switched jobs from print journalism to being a secretary. I wanted out of the old job I was in, but stayed in a bad situation for a long time because of the fear that I would not have anywhere to go. I even considered moving out of my town to find work. Sounds dangerously like the story of someone in an abusive relationship!
    I am thankful to be working, but some days I feel the hit pretty hard when my days that used to be filled with freedom to operate on my terms have turned into days of answering phones and opening someone else’s mail.
    Perhaps this is a lesson in humility for all us hoity-toity “professionals” out there!

  4. Vanessa | Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

    I definitely agree!! I have a Bachelor’s degree and got retrenched from my last job due to the company cutting back and a third of the employees were let go. Like Chad I was told I was over-qualified at many a job interview. In desperation I took a job which I was obviously over-qualified for at much less pay. I am just grateful for a job but I yearn for something more challenging but the job market is not at its best these days – decent job offers are few and far between. I don’t think us ‘professionals are ‘hoity-toity’ in any way – just like any other employee, we would like a job that challenges us and I think most of us need to be paid the salaries we deserve.

  5. James | Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

    Well, talk about overqualified. I have 10 years of industry experience, I am 29 years of age, and I have two Bachelor’s Degree, and just moved back to Los Angeles from London, I have no idea why I did it but there it goes. I am highly skilled expert, and nobody in Los Angeles does what I do, but I have been unemployed since the summer of 2008 and had been turning in resume’s and and attending job fairs eversince and still no job. There is that insecurity of employers not to hire me because it’s like hiring President Obama to flip burgers at McDonalds, it is becoming ridiculous………

  6. Anne | Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

    I not only get annoyed about the “you’re overqualified” thing…I get annoyed when I apply to a job I’m perfectly qualified for because very few people have my kind of experience. I used to be a radio announcer, and I was both the afternoon drive announcer AND the secretary at my first station. Talk about wearing many hats. When I left radio, I went into admin work – I wanted something more stable. Recently, I sent a resume for an admin job at a radio station, that requires doing station logs. Well, I’ve done that. And I sent one to a national radio broadcasting company for a data entry person – and I have tons of experience in data entry. And in my radio career, I worked for a station in this company’s network. In both cases, I understood the work and the industry very well. Haven’t heard a thing from either one. And I’m thinking, “How many people will you find who have done exactly what you’re asking for? How many former radio announcers will you find with admin experience?” Not too damn many. And yet…nothing. It seems like employers today don’t want people with actual experience, and who know an industry’s culture. I feel like saying, “Well, pardon me for having real experience in this. Sorry I bothered you.”

  7. Mary | Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

    I get irritated when people not only say I’m overqualiified, but they don’t count owning a business as experience. I owned a photography business for fifteen years, and I learned a hell of a lot, especially about marketing, because I had to do it all myself. But people don’t count that because it wasn’t a “traditional” setup where someone else hired me to sit in their office and do marketing work. I recently closed my business, and I’ve been trying to find a marketing job, and I can’t, because having a business of my own doesn’t count as real “experience” to employers. Never mind that I found effective, inexpensive ways to advertise. That doesn’t matter to them. Most employers are not willing to think beyond their own traditional “borders.” It’s interesting that employers say they want you to be creative and bring new ideas to the table…and yet they don’t do that themselves.

  8. Ernest | May 18, 2010 | Reply

    Being overqualified is a relative term, especially when your unemployed. When people who have always worked, find themselves in the unemployment line, the only thing they can think of is getting back to work, but at what cost? For me personally, I couldn’t wait to get back to work, so like many I accepted the first job I could get. I already knew that with the economy being the way that it was, employers would try to get more for their buck, by giving people half of their worth, because they could justify it with the economic climate. Unfortunately, for me and others, we forget that going forward, HR departments base your salary off of what your currently make, and may be willing to give you 3 to 4% increase, not what the market can bear, and not your worth. So, I would really advise people to evaluate this trend, and consider going back to school, adding more credential, so when the market recovers, you can get your worth. I am extremely unsatisfied in my position, and I often feel like am surrounded by idiots. Going backwards isn’t as good as it may seem in moments of desparation. Being laid off isn’t the end of the world, people should look at it as in opportunity to live your dreams, and not working your tail off making someone else’s dream come true. No better time to live your life, and not be restricted by the Big Business.

  9. Bob | May 18, 2010 | Reply

    “Over-Qualified” is simply a buzz word for “to old”! Age discrimination at its best!

  10. Guy | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    In the last major US recession in the 70’s, employers hired a lot of over educated workers. This PhD explains why that was counter productive-why a high school graduate capable of doing a job is a better hire than a college graduate over educated and over qualified to do the job:

    http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v2p238y1974-76.pdf

  11. Kris | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    I am certianly overqualified for my job. I hold a bachelors degree with a double major in Accounting and Finance and a minor in Economics. I also have a law degree. My job – a warehouse supervisor. While I generally enjoy the job, there are days that I am nearly bored to tears. I have been working for the company for 13 years now. I started with them when I began law school.

  12. Dick | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    The “overqualified” label most often stems from the employer not wanting a subordinate who is smarter than he is. I’ve witnessed that syndrome many times in industry where the managers protect their nests against intrusion from below.

  13. James | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    I was unemployed so I took the first job I could after 3 months (teller) and now have been with this company for over 7 months now. I enjoy the people I work with, I have great benefits, and there are some sales bonus perks. I had to take the minimum pay, and that really hurts. Going from $65,000 a year to $28,000 hurts really bad but its better than being unemployed. I am basically a glorified teller that can close loans. I am leading my branch in sales, balancing, and completed all assigned training (50 courses and have asked for more). I didnt have any previous experience in banking but I have thirteen years in sales and management, with a bachelors degree in business management. I feel overqualified and underpaid.

    The funny thing is that the management staff is all younger than me by at least 6 years, and they do not want to promote me. They just want me to sell sell sell. I feel trapped because of the economy and the benefits. Not to mention that I truly feel my boss is like a little kid with no managment skills. If there was an award for micro manager of the decade he would be the victor. I can’t even get a review on time (which is supposed to be in six months and the next one at one year of employment), and did I mention that my boss didnt fight for me on a raise that I ask for because he didnt feel that I needed one? So lost and miserable right now.

  14. Dave | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    With me being laid off from a job I had for 10 years, I had to take a job that I hadn’t done for 15 years (and making less than half my previous salary.) Although the bosses are extremely happy with my performance, they know that I’m not happy and am looking for a job more in line with my capabilities / goals.

    The hard part is not showing my frustration that can affect my work / results.

  15. Joe Brook | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    Being overqualified makes your boss or possible future nervous because they think you are after their job. It happened to me. I had a new boss start and I offered her the courtesy of helping her learn the ropes. Within 3 months after getting her up to speed, she went on a witch hunt and fired me for an employee complaint from 6 months prior. She was not even with the company 6 months ago! I have an MBA with 10 years of experience, my ex-boss has a BS with 7 years experience. I may not be so eager to help my next boss, or share my qualifications with them.

  16. Joe | May 19, 2010 | Reply

    It’s true. Age discrimination is prevelant in the workplace. Companies want young kids who they can squeeze blood out of after brainwashing them with comany propaganda. Loyalty is very rare these days.

  17. tim | May 20, 2010 | Reply

    What’s frustrating is also finding out that the voice at the other end of the call for jobs which appear to be a match is from a recruiter who is Indian and the gatekeeper to the opportunity. They cant speak english and have no business ethics or courtesy.

  18. Mary | May 20, 2010 | Reply

    I recently graduated with a Healthcare Degree with a minor in business. I have had many years of experience working as a Administrative Assistant, Apartment Manager and etc…I’ve had a job since I was sixteen years old. Finding a job has been difficult to say the least. All of the jobs I have applied for I seem to over qualified/underqualified depending on the requirements of the job. I always felt like the employer looked at me as person who would skip out on the job once I found a better offer so they wouldn’t hire me. I am still unemployed and looking.

  19. Robin | May 20, 2010 | Reply

    Last week I got a job posting from a friend for the kind of work I used to do about 5 years ago, I read the description and it sounded like a perfect fit. I went in to the office and talked to the person responsible for hiring… and found that the job was vastly different from the description.
    They were asking for an experienced construction manage/site superintendent for a large environmental cleanup site. The actual job – oversight of one or two drill rigs for the summer. So I was a perfect match for the posting, but so overqualified for the actual work that it wasn’t even funny. It seems like this whole finding employees/finding employers thing would be a lot easier if people could just say what they really want.

  20. Mike | May 20, 2010 | Reply

    I’ve been overqualified for my position for 15 yrs. Nothing wrong with that. There’s no such thing as a job not being challenging. A job, like school, a marriage or anything else is what you make of it.

    So, I became a consultant 12 yrs ago and I’ve been making 2 to 2.5 times my peers for the same job. Only difference… I’m good at what I do and prove it to client time and time again. I can finish the work in 1/10th the time for 2.5 times the price.

    When you have deadlines… who ya gonna call?

  21. Nick | May 21, 2010 | Reply

    I was only out of work for three months — I couldn’t stand having no job — so I took a position that paid the same as my unemployment was paying. I took a position I was over-qualified for 30 years ago. I was confident that I could show what I’m worth and get a promotion and a raise, so it seemed worth the risk.

    I did get the promotion right away but the raise was a joke. I now earn what I earned 20 years ago. When the economy recovers, the employers who fail to recognize and reward the talent pool they lucked into will see a mass exodus.

  22. Mark | May 21, 2010 | Reply

    Yes, definately overqualified for my position (last two jobs in fact). I agree with the article…I’m 47 and just happy working every day to sock away for the future. A future that appears like a depression economically. I’ve been socking away as much precious metals as I can. I’m not concerned about trying to stuff any more dollars into retirement accounts…I was doing (saving) 20% in 401k’s since I was 25 until age 45…been there, done that. I’m doing much better in the metals and happier…feeling secure. They can run the printing pre$$es now…I’m secure.

    If you want to talk dollars…my highest year value wise was in 1999/2000. Many others I’ve talk with have lost since 1999 financially speaking when their salary versus cost of living ratio was higher. I fully expect to retire at 55 or 62 and will still not have beaten the 1999 year…high paying careers are pretty much over with. Global equalization has been instituted and soon a global currency will be institued once there’s world wide currency failures which I can readily see happening.

  23. Ernest | May 21, 2010 | Reply

    I don’t understand why company shouldn’t expect people to look for better jobs, the companies are willing to do whatever it takes for their bottomline, including layoff, so why should I not be able to make the most out of better opportunities. The problem is “we the people” give big business too much power, these companies can’t do anything without us, we need to put the power back into the people hands.

  24. Power to the People | May 22, 2010 | Reply

    Ernest is 100% correct! The USA needs a strong and vibrant Union again! Businesses are NOTHING without people, and “over qualified” people need to be patient and sit on the sidelines. Everyone in Corporate America is doing the work for at least 2 or 3 people, and the existing workforce is about to snap! My company is GROSSLY understaffed and tempers are starting to boil over! Do not let the fat cats win, get paid what you deserve, and take the power back to the people!

  25. wilson | May 22, 2010 | Reply

    Working for small, damaged company with no history, total lack of mgmt, and a “CEO” who is a denmother- a retired schoolteacher..with no business acumen. Add to that an inept “VP of OPS” and admin secy’s that don;t even know to put INFO on the subject line of an e mail, and also forget to add the company NAME and PHONE #. Makes it very difficult for a former major corporate high-tech sales rep to get up in the AM for the circus of malperformance. And I make decent $, but the frustration of being dismissed when offering sage advice is insulting. So, this place languishes…as I look and look…for smething else…

  26. wilson | May 22, 2010 | Reply

    pardon my typos…frustration affects the weekends as well…what can I say?

  27. wilson | May 22, 2010 | Reply

    It’s you’re, not your, Ernest. Geez….

  28. joseph.k | May 23, 2010 | Reply

    I share the same position with most of other readers: I’m overqualified for my present job,but looks like many employers are not interested to hire “the right people for the right job” because they need less-qualified people for a job for less salary instead the right people with a little bit higher salary,which can be more productive with less production-cost.I’m 50 year-old with a foreign college degree,living in the USA for over 11 years, but nobody was interested to find out what this people can do or knows about any kind of work. Employers are afraid to hire some one who has a lot of work experience/over 20 years before came to USA- managing people and merchant marine vessels worldwide/ because of high salary request for a low-level job , but which can fulfill my monthly expenses.
    In fact , employers are following this policy ” young people with the experience of old- ones” wich is extremely hard to find. Good luck
    No more comments !

  29. Norm Solomon | May 23, 2010 | Reply

    I was confronted by the “overqualified” label when I applied for one of my first jobs many years ago. I told them that my qualifications never stood in the way of my doing a good job. That seems to have satisfied them, and I was promoted a couple of years later. This was the start of a career with the same organization that lasted until I retired 25 years later.

  30. Dennis | May 24, 2010 | Reply

    To be called or considered overqualified by an employer is exactly why companies in the US are being killed in business and why these companies are always complaining they cannot find the right employees.

    The only thing that coiuld a more stupid statement is a gold digger complaining a man has too much money.

  31. Phil Calvert | May 24, 2010 | Reply

    The fear employers have with hiring highly qualified people for entry level jobs is,
    the perception that the employee will become disgruntled in role (chip on the shoulder syndrome), will not be loyal and turn on the boss.

    Happened to me – I hired my former boss (who had hired me out of college) and who was subsequently was out of work. Though he does good work, he is hard to manage (does not truly accept I am now his boss) and gets sulky and irritable if given slightest criticism. Also he constantly reaching over me, writing memo’s to my boss and other senior leaders (he has the good sense to cc me) and generally trying to get “noticed”.

    Overall nothing really bad but just irritating which makes me think it is just not worth my while hiring a over-qualified person for an entry level job.

  32. Steve Elem | May 24, 2010 | Reply

    Jobs are not lacking, they are given to Indians. Our company keeps laying US workers off and replacing them with Indians. I feel like I might as well be in India. Out of 3,000 employees, 60% are Indians. It is like the invasion of cockroaches.

  33. Charlie | May 24, 2010 | Reply

    Over/Under qualified is always an issue. In today’s job market, things are different than they were five or ten years ago.
    What I would say, that has really made a difference–

    Tailor your resume to the job that you are applying for.

    I.E. if you have a doctorate, and the job doesn’t call for it, don’t blatantly advertise the fact. Emphasize job accomplishments that relate directly to the job you are trying to get hired to do.

    If you are a trucker, with a good safety record and twenty years in–
    Say something like over ten years and leave the twenty to such things as safety awards.

    ( I found this to be the key to getting hired, even when someone with “more experience” was on the possible list.)

    At one point as one of my employers was bidding on a contract, a survey concerning experience was made. The most amusing part of the survey had to do with the number of years of experience in different fields. Since my experience overlaid multiple fields, I was told to forget the totals and concentrate on the experience in each field. Turned out that I had well over a century of experience using this method, even though my career experience was about 25 years at the time.

  34. Popo | May 24, 2010 | Reply

    There is no way to be over qualified for a job. Each job or position has minimum qualifications, it you exceed those qualification doesn’t mean your over qualifies, you meet the qualifications for that job or position and you have addition qualifications that are needed for the job or position you applied for. The way to overcome this excuse if to down play your qualifications and present yourself in a professional and polished manner. Show that your a loyal employee and dedicated to the company. You also have to show that you will work for the salary offered. Salary is what usually results in the excuse, overqualified. Once you are in the door, that is when you show case your true qualifications and the salary will follow. It does work, been there, done that. Good luck.

  35. Peki | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I too had a good paying job which I worked hard to achieve. When my position was eliminated, I tried desperately to find a job. After 9 months, and many interviews having been told that I was overqualified, I “dummy-downed” my resume and would not mention my previous pay rate. I was still told I was over qualified. Finally, I found out about an opening through a friend of a friend and was able to get a face-to-face interview. I immediately told him that I wasn’t expecting to run the place and wanted less stress. He told me how much it paid and (taking a deep breath) I told him that would be ok. It was less than 1/2 of what I had been making but I was sick of sitting at home and getting so depressed about not being able to help support my family. The great thing is that I really do like this job. I do need to make a little more but I don’t want to go back to making “big” bucks if it means all the stress I had before. I’m hoping my dedication and experience will show through and maybe, before long, I will get to a more comfortable salary. But even if no, then I’m just happy to have a job.

  36. Jon Evans | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Despite having a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, I have been told that I have been lacking in specific skillsets! There are even some areas where I do. Ironically, when I apply for the “Ghetto Jobs: I get rejected withinn 24 hours. I believe that businesses and industries use “Overqualified” as a dubterfuge for employment discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, and other forms of screening.

  37. Nina | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I am definitely over-qualified for the position that I am currently in. With that being said, I am grateful to have a job with full benefits.

  38. uvuvuv | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    overqualified is a catch-all, it’s a polite way of saying they don’t want you for whatever reason. they say that because it let’s you down easy. why, i’m not so hopeless after all, i’m overqualified! that’s better than saying, you’re not up to snuff. if you are indeed overqulified the employer might fear that you will come in saying everyday, well that isn’t how we did where i worked before. or that you will turn out to be the patient kindly mentor type. companies hate the hiring process, where i worked they flew the prospects in and put them up and spent a whole day with each one, and then after agonizing they hire this guy and in 2 years he’s gone. if you can give the impression that with you their hiring problems are over they will be so glad.

  39. Galen | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    THe vast majority of the people who are now unemployed are finding out that their companies they were faithful to have sent their job overseas. People are qualified in India to take your job at next to nothing. American needs to realize that China and India are taking our work, our jobs and our land.We will never see the great America we grew up in. How sad. America is great because America is good. When America ceaces to be good, it will cease to be great.

  40. Mary | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Popo has made some very valid points, but I have several friends who have been looking and could be considered over qualified. The problem they seem to be having is that they get the initial interview go in and seem to have done well. They all say the same thing, “It went well” or “I’m sure I’ll be called back”. They never get to the point of discussing salary. On applications they either lower the range based on research of avaerage salary in that position or they simply state open to reasonable offer. What are they doing wrong? I have asked some other collegues in the HR world and they are just as baffled because it really depends on other issues with the company such as financial state, and how the economy has effected their potential growth budget for the year. There are so many things that can come into play when job hunting in this economy, all I can say is hang in there and remain as optimistic as possible. I was fortunate enough to find a position before the comapny I was at decided to ax my job.

  41. Emma | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    It’s 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. With a law degree I find it difficult for employers to consider my application seriously. Recently I applied for a job as a customer service rep, went through 3 interviews, testing and was offered the job. I then advised them that I was more than a paralegal, that I was an attorney. The job offer (which paid only slightly less than what I earn now) was rescinded, because I “lied” on my application. No, I had every qualification that my resume stated, I just had slightly more than I stated.
    And oh, unions? They won’t fix this, they can only “protect” you after you are hired and made it past the trial period.

  42. rollon | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    most employers want young, stupid meat they can shape into what they want, once you are over 45 years old, you are basically on the endangered species list…corporately that is.

  43. Mike Smith | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I have been unemployed since Aug 2009. I spent 7 months of that time looking for work in SC. Since then I moved to TX and left my wife and daughter behind. It’s not being over qualified. It’s that the hiring is being done by inept Human Resource departments. That are now locked in an Ivory tower wiith no way of communicating with them. The Human part has been replaced with “Send your Resume Online” and the Resource part … that’s a joke. The goal is to get in front of the actual decision maker on the position not HR. I am tired of their excusses “we are so overwhelmed with so many resumes”. I actually got that same response from a staffing agency… hello hire me and I will take on the task of hiring people apparently NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED for that job. Final note to those that are employed… Suck it uo get over yourself and stick out your current position. Let us that are unemployed have an opportunity at the position. How else is the unemployment rate suppose to drop. Corporate America get a hint… it is not rocket science, it is hiring and training staff something that is always done.

  44. MJ | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Boy, is that ever true! I have heard that so often on job interviews. My department was eliminated and I was out of work for a year before finding a job that pays much less than half what I was previously earning.

  45. larry | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    every reason given here is correct in it’s self if you are over 50 it is worst for that individual i have been there done that tried to get a job washing dishes to over qualified now 60 i do have a job i enjoy been lucky no unions needed look at the automotive industries

  46. Anne Kreutzer | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I teach/write workforce training sessions. A young man who just returned from his deployment in Iraq had great advice for this situation. He said to make a point that you are confident in your ablity to do this job because of your skills, that you could be up to speed faster than someone with less akills, and that you have a comfort level to begin the job.

  47. Livia | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I agree. I have bachelor’s degree in finance and after 2 years working in real estate company I was laid off. I applied for so many jobs in my field and in other fields. Its always something, either you are overqualified or don’t have enough experience in certain area. Its frustrating. I applied for jobs for which you don’t need diploma or anything and nobody ever calls. As someone said that overqualified means people are discriminated based on their age I sometimes feel like I am being discriminated against because of my foreign accent. I am citizen of US but i still have accent and sometimes when employer calls me and leaves a messege and when I call and leave messege they don’t call back anymore even though I called back withing half hour period. As I said its frustrating and I would rather accept position I am overqualified for and grow with the company but…no such luck.

  48. Jeff Cornelius | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I have been unemployed for 18 months with no unemployment benifits due to self employment, I have sold off anything of value to keep afloat,I have had to rent my home and move to an apartment so as not to lose my home and ruin my credit.
    Looking for employment after you have owned a past buisness is,at best, impossible,my wife is leaveing after 24 years due to my lack of employment,this economy has changed the lives of many and will continue to ruin lives and families,be thankful for your unemployment benifits,your 10.00 an hour jobs an good luck to all of you.

  49. claudia | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Agree!I’m an accountant, my job as a manager in a Financial company was done! laid off….and it was really REALLY hard to find another job…for many many months I looked and looked, until one day, finally! I’ve got a job! as a dishwasher …..sad huh? but oh well…that’s what pay my bills right now….

  50. Jordan | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Overqualified sounds odd. It’s almost an oxymoron. I have been applying for advertising and marketing jobs that, based on my resume, I should be perfect for. I have tried the resume revisions and custom variations. I am on LinkedIn and two other “connecting” websites. I read about trends, stay current on all things employment related, yet I am currently working 38 hours a week in a grocery store. I make one third of my past average salary. And I am to presume myself lucky to be working? The line between appreciation for an income and disgust for not being “more successful” is a thin one.

  51. justcommonsense | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I saw this coming quite a few years ago. I wondered why there were so many highly qualified people in India working in ice cream shops??? Well, here we are.

    There are only a few high level jobs here, and fewer low level jobs. We have brought in all types of low level employees from other countries. Our president and his hired cronies..are working diligently to destroy “the people and its constitution here in America”… and that means all private business, all small business, and most all of the middle class.

    So…. The government run colleges…are still pushing the “myth” that you must have these high level degrees to get a good job!!!….. Hugh????

    Stop supporting jobs and salaries to big government employees…including college professors and administrators…

    Go out and train yourself. Learn what companies are specifically looking for and train yourself. Network with individuals who work at many of these companies…and get your own jobs. Forget filling out resumes and being part of the sheep. No one looks at the stacks of resumes…

  52. Moodi | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I also have been unemployed for 14 months and just obtained a CSR position. This position is really low ranking in my career but it is at least a job. My age and my credentials have been more of a burden than anything. I really don’t think that company’s really want what they are requesting in an employment ad. I interviewed for one job that I even had certification in and it went to someone that I had previously worked with who had no experience or certification in what the job had requested. I never even heard back from them, I just heard that this person obtained the job through word of mouth. How rude is a company to interview a person at least 2 times..phone interview then F2F interview and they don’t even have the sense to send out a quick e-mail stating that you did not get the job. WOW is all I can say. Rude doesn’t even cover it. But, I am grateful to have this new job and it will be my last. I will make it work for me because I have 4 1/2 yrs remaining until I am 62 yrs old. Glad to be in this spot. Wishing everyone good luck with their job hunting, it is the worse economy that I have ever seen.

  53. LILb | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I’m not happy to see so many others suffering from “Over-Qualified-itis”, but I do feel a little better knowing I am not alone.

    When my position was eliminated I knew that the unemployment rules said I didn’t have to take less than 80% of what I had been making but that I must actively search. I didn’t even care about the whole 80%, I just started looking for anything and everything… and low and behold, I am “overqualified” to do the work I was doing just 10 years ago. I worked hard and climbed the ladder – so what if I need to start over at a new company? Rather than be worried I am going to get bored or keep looking, why not take the chance to let me do my best in YOUR company and if opportunities for growth come up I’ll be more likely to stay!

    I’ve only been out of work for 4 months, but it is not looking good at all!

  54. John | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I have to agree with most of the posts here and I empathize with everyone recently or still unemployed. I spend 14 months on unemployment and just about lost everything. Thankfully solid family support helped me keep the house. I spent my time continuing my education. I have a bachelor’s from an Ivy League school, an MBA, and I just had to stop my PhD pursuit – no more loans available. But I am a PhD (ABD) and guess what –still no job offers. Colleges have had cut backs in enrollments so no teaching jobs; small businesses have their cut back so no more consulting jobs. I have been employed for a month now and while I am thankfully employed, I am very overqualified. I spend most of my day looking for things to do, but as I said before, I am thankful. Hang in there all.

  55. Mitch | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Yes, I too am overqualified for my position in Inside Sales; having had a very successful 20 year sales career in Telecommunications. Yes, I feel lucky to have a job, even though I’m making half of what I did before. However, employers these days seem to have the mindset of “How little can we get away with paying this person, instead of “How well can this person perform his/her job? The company I work for is quite profitable, it’s a paper and packaging firm where the customers have to have what I sell. So they can’t cry poverty and expect me to believe they can’t pay me more. I’ll be asking for an increase shortly, bad economy or not!!

  56. Rhonda | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    I have been out of work for 2 months. I was a special education teacher for 10 years. I would settle for any job now. Pay cut or not, all I want to do is work!!! Most of the jobs I have applied for require a degree, which I have, but maybe not in education. Trying to find a job now is impossible in Georgia.!!!!!!!!

  57. K | May 25, 2010 | Reply

    Stephanie…like myself…there are millions of people out of work…struggling. Be damn glad you even have work!

  58. John | Posted via web from ElyssaD's Posterous

Comments